I’m really quite pleased with where I’ve ended up for this project. I didn’t do a narrative exactly but that was never my plan from the start. I originally just wanted to draw one big picture with as many animals as possible all interacting with each other, maybe telling part of the story in there somewhere. But as I went along, I found I was happier just drawing the animals as they appeared in my head. I did draw one scene where Mowgli is on Baloo’s shoulders and is talking to Bagheera and Kaa the python, while being watched by Shere Khan, but that was another spontaneous idea, and I never really concentrated on making a group of sequential images.
While I really enjoyed this project and I’m glad I went with my instincts and refused to budge when it came to drawing what animals I wanted, I did experience some frustration with colour. I didnt know where to start, but also I think at some point I forgot that the images I was making were actually for children, and so a more exaggerated colour palette was ok. I wasted a lot of time dithering around with more realistic colours from a wide variation, before I realised that it just wasn’t working at all. Another thing that delayed me was the colour process.
In illustrator I used the pen tool to roughly outline EVERY SINGLE little detail so that none of the colours met the lines in an effect that had worked really well for me in the last project. I guess some part of my brain thought ‘this is the only way to make my drawings look good’, but it didnt really do much in the way of making everything much more complicated than it needed to be.
So Rob showed me some of his illustrations and I totally changed everything about colour to do with my work. Instead of trying to incorporate white gappy bits between the colour and lines, I just coloured everything in with blocks of colour. I also used a colour palette to help limit the colours per image so I didn’t get carried away.
Although this was the most frustrating thing I’ve experienced in a while, I felt like I actually came a really long way with colour. I think I now have a procedure to use in the future and its nice to know I’m not as limited as I thought. This project has given me more confidence in my work.
I’ve decided to colour my images using different times of day as a theme. The images themselves dont tell a story exactly, they are more like moments in time between crucial moments of the story, but with a colour theme that shows the reflection of the sun on the scene below it, I hope to closer link the images to each other.